The main causes of excessive intestinal wind are :
- Too much fiber. Fiber is good in your diet, but too much fiber can cause excessive wind formation. Some fiber sources can cause more wind formation than others, in foods as well as in fiber supplements.
- Lactose intolerance - some people will find that dairy products cause excess wind in their intestinal tract. This may be because their bodies cannot break down the lactose that is present in dairy products.
- Intestinal disorders like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, also referred to as Spastic Colon, Crohn's disease or inflammatory bowel disease
- Swallowing excessive air (aerophagia)
- Large meals, eating too quickly
- Fatty foods
- Antibiotics lessen the useful bacteria in your gastrointestinal / bowel system
sweeteners such as sorbitol and mannitol can cause excessive gas formation
To get rid of gas as a problem will entail either changing your lifestyle and diet or taking medication. Most likely, you will have to do both.
Dietary changes sound pretty straightforward 'on paper', but can be extremely frustrating in practice. Some things you can do to get rid of excessive wind production are:
- Reduce your intake of high gas producing foods such as beans, cabbage, legumes, broccoli, some fruits and grains.
- Avoid dairy products if you suffer from lactose intolerance.
- Eat smaller meals, more often. Eat slowly and chew the food well.
- If you are using a fiber supplement such as Psyllium, which can produce more intestinal gas, use Methyl cellulose.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners like sorbitol and mannitol. These can be found in gums, various processed foods and drinks.
- Avoid coffee, with or without caffeine. Drink tea instead.
- Avoid fatty foods.
- Don't chew on pen tops.
- Don't smoke.
Medication can help to get rid of excessive intestinal gas buildup and trapped wind.
Sukondee is a natural herbal remedy that has no side effects and is certified non-toxic. Getting rid of excessive and trapped wind
Sukondee strengthens and regulates the gastrointestinal and bowel functions with use. It is effective for gastrointestinal problems such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, IBS with diarrhea or constipation.